Monday, October 4, 2010

2S4Y Sketch time!

Hi there blog friends!  How are you guys?  I know it's been a little while since my last post, but the weekend was a busy one and I didn't get a chance to make my way over to the good ol' computer.  I ran my 10k race on Saturday morning and I'm happy to report that I finished and did ok.  Not my best race, but given that I haven't really had much time to train as well as I'd liked, I was pleased with how I did.  Then, Sunday was my World Card Making Day event and we had lots of fun making the projects!  So, that sums up my weekend in a super quick nutshell...now how about this week's 2S4Y sketch?  You got a sneak of it up top.  Here's a look at the fun sketch #62 that Laura created:

So for this week's sketch, we got a free week, so that means we were open to use anything and everything we wanted to represent this sketch.  I have been wanting to use my new Aviary stamp set from SU!, so I played with one of the fun birdcages from the set.  Here's a look at the full card:
I love playing with the ruffle look, so I used the Delightful Daffodil taffeta ribbon and got my bird card all "ruffled up!"  {heehee}.  The trick with the ruffled ribbon is doing a running stitch along one edge of the ribbon, then you'll gather and scrunch up the ribbon to a length just slightly longer than the cardstock edge you want to have ruffled.  Next, you'll want to adhere the ruffle using sticky strip.  Put the sticky strip along the edge of your cardstock (on the back side).  Start by adhering both ends of the ribbon first, then work your way to the middle while evenly spreading your ruffles.  Once you're done, flip your cardstock over to the front and you'll see how cool your ruffles look! Then' you'll repeat this process on the opposite edge to get that ruffled up, too.  When your ruffles are adhered, you'll want to put another piece of sticky strip on top of your ruffled edges and this will secure your ruffles in place and also secure it to your card base.  Hope that explanation made sense!  I also used the eyelet border to dress up the top edge of the DSP a little.  I had fun with the sentiment - I used the Curly Label punch and tucked the bottom half of it behind the bird cage.  And finally, my last embellie was the little yellow flower button with a tiny piece of baker's twine threaded through.  And Viola!  One last look at the finished card.  Hope you like it!
{Aviary Birthday}
All supplies Stampin'Up! except where noted:
*Stamp Set: Aviary, Happy Moments
*Cardstock: Early Espresso, Nursery Suite Specialty, Whisper White
*Inks: Early Espresso, Regal Rose
*Accessories: Eyelet Border punch, Curly Label Punch, Daffodil Delight Taffeta ribbon, Subtles buttons, White Gel pen, dimensionals; baker's twine - craft store
Thanks for popping by today!  Now go check out what the awesome 2S4Y Design Team's created for this sketch and come play along with us!

Bye for now!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your card is so beautiful! WoW!

Regina Mangum said...

This is SO pretty! I love the cage and your colors rock, Rose!

ccreatif said...

It's beautiful! Love the colors!

~amy~ said...

okay, love it...the colors, the bird...the ruffles....woot woot on your 10k...you go girl!

Jinny Newlin said...

This is soooo pretty, Rose! I LOVE your color combo, and those ruffles... Swoon! Thanks for the sweet, encouraging comment you left on my blog, too! LOVE IT!

Norma said...

I love the ribbon ruffles. Love it !! The colors together are a Wow:)

~* steph :) *~ said...

oh, i love love love this card! wonderful mix of colors and i looove that birdie and birdcage and the little flower. too cute. thanks for sharing! *hugs* steph :)

Helen F. said...

Beautiful! Love the bird cage, this color combo and those pretty ruffles~had to enlarge your photo for a more detailed look-see~really gorgeous!