Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Introducing {Tech Tip Tuesday}: Week 1 - Simply Pressed Clay

Hi there, blog friends! I'm excited to announce that I'll be doing a weekly {Tech Tip Tuesday} post starting today.  So now, you're probably wondering "What the heck is Tech Tip Tuesday?"  Well, what that means is, I'll be posting either a paper crafting technique tip or a digital/online technology tip for you WEEKLY.  Yes.  Weekly!  I've neglected my blog for far too long and I'm gonna revamp it with some fresh new posts and ideas to share with you all.  I promised at the beginning of 2014 that I'd commit to posting 3 times a week, so now you know at least one post will be on {Tech Tip Tuesday}. :)
So, let's start with today, shall we?  I'm thrilled to finally share that I got to play with the Simply Pressed Clay today for the very first time.  I've been intimidated by the packaging and just even trying to make the flowers or buttons in the Simply Pressed Mold.  I finally decided to take the time to search for instructions or videos and mustered up the courage (and of course, carved out the time) to try.  In the picture above, I'm pleased to say…Success!

Here are the steps for you, broken down to make it easy-peasy.

1.  What you'll need are the following: Buttons and Blossoms Simply Pressed Mold, Re-inker (I chose Pink Pirouette), and Simply Pressed Clay.  The re-inker is really just an option, but this is what I chose for this example.  There are a number of ways you can add color to your clay - with Stampin'Write markers, ink pads, etc.  With the re-inker, I added 6 drops of the Pink Pirouette and kneaded it into the clay.
2.  Pinch off a tiny piece of clay and roll it into a ball.  
3.  Press the clay into the mold and be sure to fill the mold completely.  If you have too much, pinch off the excess and form the clay into the mold till you're satisfied that you've filled the area. If you have too little, add a bit of clay until you can fill the mold.
4.  Now, here's the tricky part.  Depending on the humidity in your area and the moisture of the clay, the mold may stick.  After trial and error, I saw that it's best to rub the silicon molds with an embossing buddy first, since this will help "pop out" your mold.  Think of it like baking a cake.  You add flour to the pan to help it not stick.  Same principle. :)  Since I was sans embossing buddy today, I also learned that a few minutes in the freezer does the trick equally well.  I'd say 5-10 minutes is sufficient.
5.  When you take your mold out of the freezer, just gently bend back the mold and pop out your flower.  Viola!

Here's a look at the flowers again - I love the delicate look they have.  What's fun is that the clay doesn't  get hard even when it's dry. It's semi soft and bendable!  Pretty cool.  Here's another look at my first batch of flowers.
And lastly, here's a look at the full card I made, using the Language of Love stamp set from the Occasions catalog, Polka Dot Parade DSP, heart punch, and linen thread on Crumb Cake card stock.  It also happens to be my first Valentine card of the year, too.
Hope you like it!  Thanks for visiting me on my first {Tech Tip Tuesday}.  I'd love to hear your feedback.  Especially if you have any specific techniques or technologies you'd like me to cover.  Have a great day!


3 comments:

Norma said...

Woo Hoo so cool and pretty to see the clay flowers and how pretty is it on the card!! I will have to play with mine real soon:)
Hugs,
Norma

Betty said...

Beautiful card Rose! I always love your delicate and sweet stamping style. (Looks like a wonderful time in Houston too!)

WandaG_CT said...

Great card. Love the idea you had of Tech Tip Tuesday.